Colds and flu are caused by viruses that generally target the Respiratory System. They mutate every year, mainly from Human to Human. They differ from each other – A cold is usually milder than the flu and more likely to produce a runny or stuffy nose. Colds can be caught anytime throughout the year. Flu is more severe with fevers, body aches and pains, extreme fatigue, chills and sweats. Signs usually come on quickly and are usually in winter or between seasons. Severe flu can overwhelm the body’s immune system lead to further complications such as bronchitis or even pneumonia. Once this stage is reached, then anti-biotics or solid pharmaceutical drugs are required to treat the complaint. So warding off or treating early is the best way of dealing with viruses before they get started – So the message is, Ward off!
Recently newspapers and media have reported that researchers have tested common colds and flu remedies and found them ineffective. They tested Vitamin C, Echinacea, and Garlic. Just why they just tried these and not others, I do not know as it is well known in the Health industry that these remedies are not heavy hitters regarding colds and flu. Just go into any Health food Store, and you will be recommended something else, as there are more effective Herbal remedies on the shelf than these.
To affect a Virus, one needs to stop it in its tracks by stimulating the immune system. Once the virus multiplies in the body and settles in, the battle has been lost, and only considerable rest will help. Certain Herbs work, but best at the first sign of something happening – Sore throat, unusual fatigue, a runny nose which suddenly develops – this is the time for loading up on the herbs which, if taken in sufficient doses, will abort the mission of the virus by stopping its replication in the body.
YOU FEEL SOMETHING IS COMING ON SYMPTOMS :
You may feel exhausted, maybe with a sore throat coming on. Now is the time to use –
- GINGER: surprise, surprise. Yes, fresh ginger is highly anti-viral and works against most flu viruses. It must be new and not in dried or powdered or tableted versions. It must be taken in sufficient quantities to work. Six times a day, at least as the therapeutic actives in ginger only last in the body for a couple of hours. Ginger, a piece about the size of your thumb, is grated and steeped for ten minutes and then taken with a bit of honey, lime or lemon juice with a pinch of cayenne pepper. A good cup full is sufficient. Leftover ginger can be stored and then, with later leftovers can be reboiled for a half hour or so then strained and squeezed to express and concentrate the juice. Ginger must be taken hot not to be sold or stored for too long in the fridge except overnight. It only works if sufficient quantities are taken at the first onset of symptoms. The only downside is that this does not suit the busy person who works long hours and does not have time to brew up the ginger concoction, so are some other options –
- ACTIVIRAL: A Formula by Fusion Health is another flu-orientated formula that focuses on Andrographis, a potent ant-viral herb. This formula also contains zinc, echinacea, and olive leaf extract. Take in high doses for the best effect for two days. I like one capsule x three times a day or more for that period. After a couple of days, reduce the dose to one cap x twice daily or what you think appropriate.Zinc: has been known to help abort the common cold if taken in large doses at the first onset of symptoms. Zinc needs to be taken in more significant amounts over two days or so for this effect to work. Zinc oral spray is the best way to ingest and absorb this mineral that stimulates the immune system in controlled amounts. If the spray is not available, then take the tableted version in high doses.
However, oral spray therapy is only intended for short-term use as overdoing zinc can lead to immune suppression.
YOU KNOW YOU HAVE IT !
You now have symptoms such as a runny nose, sore throat, mild fever, and Fatigue. Rest is important. Now is the time to add in either Elderberry or Cold and Flu tablets by Fusion health. This is Full Anti-viral therapy.
- COLD AND FLU tablets by Fusion Health or BACTEVIR by Oriental Botanicals ( same manufacturer and herbs in both products ). No ordinary cold and flu formula – these tablets contain several herbs that have proven potent ant-viral properties, such as Isatis tinctoria, Lonicera Japonica, Andrographis. All these herbs have been used in Chinese Medicine for millennia and have been tested over that time for use in warding off and treating the effects of colds and flu. I would recommend two tablets x three times a day for a couple of days, then reduce the dose accordingly.
- ELDERBERRY: a lot of science behind Elderberry ( Sambucus Nigra) to support its use as it has a proven ability to reduce virus replication. It has been used to treat the symptoms of cold and flu and has the following benefits.• herpes simplex (fever blisters)
• reduce fever
• boosts the immune system
• soothes the respiratory tract
• ear infections
• stimulate circulation
• rheumatic problems
If using Elderberry, use max dose or double recommended on bottle for a couple of days, then reduce the amount as appropriate. High doses are required to reduce the viral load.
NOW I HAVE THE FULL-ON SYMPTOMS
Once symptoms have settled in, and there is fatigue, sore throat, cough and mucous, and it could settle on the lungs, then it is time to do Herbal Antibiotic therapy -the following protocol will help –
- Keep on with the ginger unless one has a high fever: chicken soup, and herbal remedies in large doses and rest. Herbal Formulas like Bactevir or Fusion Cold and flu contain anti-biotic like herbs that will help, and they have herbs that will help reduce a fever.
- Rest ! the most important principle of them all. Resting and not working will help you to recover in a quicker time than soldering on! Not resting may precipitate something else like bronchitis.
- If the symptoms move to the chest, including Fusion Cough and Lung tonic combined with either Bactiver or Fusion Cold and flu formula is the best. Elderberry will not be of much value here as it is mainly anti-viral . Liquid lung tonic is the best, and when better, then one could switch to the tablets.
Children can also benefit from the above but, of course, adjust the dose according to age. Generally, Children can only handle one Remedy at a time, so pick what you think is best and go with that in good age-appropriate doses. If children have a cough and mucous, then the liquid Lung Tonic is the best.
This information is intended for educational purposes only. It is not provided to diagnose, cure, mitigate or prevent any disease, illness or injury. Those individuals suffering from any disease, illness or injury should consult with their healthcare provider. Asthmatics should be extremely careful with taking any new herb or formula that they have not used before. All doses expressed are based on adult doses/ for children; please adhere to the bottle’s instructions or preparation.
Peter Farnsworth N.D
for further information, don’t hesitate to get in touch with me at my website www.adelaidenaturopath.net.au
For your free medical pulse diagnosis, please book via the website